Slowing down to enjoy moments

Now that I just blogged the year and half I hadn't blogged in 6 weeks I'm finally caught up and can really have fun with the blog. Justin commented my posts at first were lots of words, few pictures. Now they've changed to lots of pictures and few words. Hopefully I can do a better job keeping up and balance it out. Ha, but time will tell.

Most of the time I'm trying to get other things accomplished while taking care of kids as they demand or need it. The past few days I have taken a few moments to do something with my kids. It's been good. I need to do it more. I'm blogging about it so I don't forget that I did do it sometimes. I also hope blogging and pondering about it will help me to do it more often.

I don't know what has caused the slow down. Maybe because I'm 9 months pregnant and tired. Or maybe it's because I know I'll be more stretched out with a newborn any day. I only have a short time left with just two kiddos. Maybe because it's been SUNNY and beautiful!.As I think on it, truly I think God is prompting me to slow down before life gets too crazy busy and the more than one BIG adjustment comes for all of us. Whatever the reason I'm grateful to have enjoyed these moments.

Moment #1:

Justin had a long day at work. I felt the familiar depressing feeling creep in, that so often has when Justin is gone. But seeing it was sunny and beautiful outside I decided, to heck with early bedtime, we were going for a walk to see the beautiful Canola/Rapeseed fields I hadn't been able to enjoy yet.

Sam got on his balance bike and Nora in the stroller. My walk has slowed with this pregnancy, we were taking it real slow. Sam wanted to race and I informed him he would win, no contest. He was sweet and gave us a big head start. He also picked me some beautiful flowers for me.



 Nora figured out the fun of blowing Dandelion seeds. It was fun to just watch the kiddos. Yes, Sam wouldn't keep his hand down -- darn kid -- cute picture of him though.

Moment #2:

Today Sam did not get ready for the day in time and when that happens he can't have TV time. Friday is movie night -- so that means no movie night. I've never let the consequence follow on a Friday night. He LOVES movie night. I was having a hard time sticking to it, but felt like he was starting to expect second chances and not listening to my warnings. He kept asking me to see if he could get a second chance -- I reminded him I gave him one yesterday.  We continued on with the day and he continued to ask almost bursting in tears each time. I kept putting it off telling him I didn't know.

He really likes to watch TV when he's tired (afternoons) at that time he melted down and I refused to respond. Yes there was yelling. He ended it with, "Don't come in!" and shut himself in the office. I took the time to check email, facebook and such and then read my scriptures after I peeked in to see that he wasn't doing anything he wasn't suppose to. He was drawing. I was finishing up some laundry when he came in with the picture. One side had mom on it with a smile and hearts, on the other side Sam with a frown and tears. We were both calmed down by now so I was able to talk to him about how I wasn't happy he didn't get TV time, just like policeman don't like to give tickets, but consequences have to happen. And that I had to get speeding tickets to help me slow down, ha, I still don't go the speed limit like I should.

I knew it was going to continue to be a battle and so was trying to think what we could do together. We decided to watercolor together, which we did and both really enjoyed.

We then skyped with mom and Grandma Della and lucky for me Justin came to save the day by taking Sam to the father and son camp out. No movie night, but replaced with some other fun! YAY!


I haven't taken time to do art since our girls night out in Utah in Febuary -- which at that time I realized I need to do it more often. I really do enjoy art. Sam does too -- I think we found something we like to do together for fun - other than reading and piano. 

Moment #3:

After the boys left Nora and I played on the trampoline until it started raining. She said, "umbeya" She didn't want to go inside. We went inside to look for the umbrellas but I realized they were with Justin and Sam in the car. Instead we opened our patio door and sat and watched the rain. When I went to heat up leftovers for dinner I came back to find Nora had gone outside to get a closer look, luckily she stayed dry. I haven't sat and watched the rain in a very long time. It's soothing and I totally enjoyed it.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Engineering Lab vs. Hawaii

Happy Halloween

The Park - 11 month old fun